Monday, June 15, 2009

Cybele's Secret

I just finished the most amazing book. It's Cybele's Secret by Juliet Marillier. It is a companion novel to Wildwood Dancing, which is one of my new favorite books, and this is every bit just as good. I love how she creates this world where fantasy and reality go hand in hand and that the main under currant through the books are love and family. Wildwood Dancing is a story of 5 sisters who are granted permission to travel between the two worlds of fantasy and reality as they overcome mystery and intrigue; very much like the story of the 12 dancing princesses. The story is mostly about the older two sisters and takes place in Transilvania (I've never wanted to visit there so bad until I read this book!). Cybele's Secret is about the 4th sister, Paula, on a trade mission to Istanbul. The book doesn't follow any fairytale that I know of, It is very creativly put together with more mystery and adventure around an ancient world with pirates, secrets, and ancient religions. It is perhaps a little Indiana Jones-ish. Marillier makes the world they live in so tangible, she is an amazing author.

2 comments:

  1. I love these!! I totally fell in love with the pirate, Duarte. He's my favorite character from both books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I love finding new books to read. I'll have to try these.

    ReplyDelete